Wednesday 10 December 2014

art made in Altamura

A couple of days ago, while walking along C.so Federico II di Svevia in Altamura, I came across Stefania Digioia, a young local painter.

















Stefania is a talented artist. 

She holds a permanent exhibition in her shop called laboratorio SD.

It seems to me that Stefania has got inspired by the so-called street art.









“You know” I confess “when I first saw the Banksy’s works, I felt shivers down my back”.










Stefania has attended the Liceo artistico “Carlo Levi” in Matera. 

Then, she got the degree in Accademia di Belle Arti of Rome.

“I have won two grants” Stefania says “the first allowed me to visit the Biennale in Venice. The second one  to travel to Berlin, of which I have visited musuems and gallery.”.

She adds: “I am very much interested in people, especially those who have suffered for their sexual orientation, like the LGBT".


Stefania loves her roots. She enjoys to live in the south of Italy: “the quality of life here is high compared to big cities such as Rome or Milan”.

The painted chairs are one of her most successful works.









































“From my point of view, the chair is one of the symbol of the south. People still use to sit down on the chair outdoor, either on balcony or just outside the courtyard”. Stefania explains.






Stefania is very much appreciated by foreigner buyers.







As result of this, she will likely move to Matera, a city which is just 10 miles far. 

Actually, Matera is becoming one of the main Italian touristic destination, having recently been designated as European capital of culture 2019.










The leitmotiv of her artistic research is memory.











Stefania reveals: “I went to Auschwitz to make a photo-reportage, even though I have never published or shared those pictures because I felt overwhelmed”.

Stefania believes that there is a lot of to do in our communities, especially dealing with teenagers, who look nowadays completely disoriented.


I ask her what is the secret of happiness. She thinks about it for a while, then, with a smile painted on her face she replies : “Surely, rushing to make money brings to the opposite direction of happiness”.

How true is her statement...

If you wish to find out more about Stefania, please visit her website 













No comments:

Post a Comment