Tuesday 16 December 2014

Bari, capital of Orthodox and Catholic religions

Se Parigi tenesse lu mer, sarebbe una piccola Ber (literally means: “If Paris had got the sea, it would have been like Bari”).











This motto says a lot about the baresita, which is the attitude of people of Bari to life.

I have been in Bari last time almost two years ago.





Yesterday, I have had chance to visit again this vibrating city. 








I have been living near Bari for almost four years.

I have got so many friends from Bari. People is very friendly there.

Bari is the capital of the Apulian region.








Bari is very similar to Naples. 

These are the biggest cities of the south of Italy, islands excluded.










There is a lot to say about Bari.

However, today I desire to write about San Nicola, and the devotion of both Orthodox and Catholics.



Due to the fact that Bari hosts the San Nicola’s relics, Bari is the destination of thousands of Orthodox pilgrims.

The skeleton of San Nicola was stored in Myra, Turkey.

However, when Muslims took over Turkey, 62 fishermen departed from Bari with the precise aim to steal the miraculous relics of the saint.

By the way, this is a typical example of baresita’.

They were quicker than Venetians, who also would have liked to put their hands on it.

It happened in 1087.

I have visited the cathedral, amazing example of Romanico-Pugliese.
























After having seen that, I walk 200 metres further in Bari vecchia...



...till I come across the outstanding Basilica di San Nicola, another beautiful example of Romanico-Pugliese.

This stunning church hosts the relics of San Nicola.

I went in, then, I headed to the underground chapel. 

My surprise was very big when I saw the small chapel filled with almost 2 or even 3 hundred Orthodox pilgrims.

I was so enchanted by the spiritual atmosphere.

I was struck by seeing the believers together, almost attached one another.

They seemed to me like one body. One body, one soul.
















They were singing a beautiful song, of which I just picked the word “Nicola”.

I even saw some people crying.

I spent there 20 minutes, however, I would have like to spend much more time.

Once again, I was just so fascinated by the touching atmosphere which I have breathed there.

They reminded me the first Christians who used to gather in catacombs. I am pretty sure that the engagement was the same.

Outside the marvellous Basilica di San Nicola, there is a statue of San Nicola donated by the Vladimir Putin in 2003.



Bari can rightly be considered as city of peace and fraternity.

Please click here, should you wish to view more pics


No comments:

Post a Comment