Monday 7 July 2014

Gnatia (Egnazia), an exciting archeological site in Apulia


My current location is Brindisi, in Apulia of course.

I was born in Manfredonia, north of Apulia.

There, my parents currently live.I live in Brindisi since one year. 

Lucia, my girlfriend, lives with me. She comes from Altamura (Apulia), well known mainly for the bread, which I admit is unique.

So, few days ago we decide to go to Altamura for the week-end. I drive my small car easy, bloody easy according to Lucia. 

I drive easy because I get sidetracked watching the landscape, the sea, the countryside. It is so relaxing.


We have driven almost 30 miles when I decide to leave the main road for a secondary one, which is along the sea. I wish to breath the sea air.

Lost in our thoughts, we visualize a road sign which informs that we are coming in the archeological area of Gnatia (Egnazia in Italian).









Nowdays, Gnatia is just an archelogical area. However, it has been for centuries a very important Messapian city (8th – 3rd century BC).










From the 3rd century BC, the Romans took over the city, building up the Amphitheatre and the Acropolis.



Additionally, The Via Traiana accrossed Gnatia. The Via Traiana, a branch of the via Appia, linked Benevento to Brindisi.



















I beg Lucia for visiting the area, Museum included. She agrees.

So, I stop the car along the road. Like a boy, I grab my camera and run towards  the Acropolis in order to take few pictures. 

The Acropolis is just 50 yards from the sea. 




I take pictures of the Messapian port, most of it still intact.

I bump into two Italian tourists from Milan.

They are on the beach to enjoy the sun and to swim. “it’s really nice here”, the lady says.

I reply: “You are right in the middle of a very important archeological area”.

They seem to be not aware of what surrounds them.




It is incredible how some Italians do not feel touched by the beauty of their country.

Italy has almost the 50% of the worldwide cultural heritage. 

Nevertheless, the Italian governament assign just unsignificant resources to its Cultural heritage. It is a shame.

Me and Lucia pay three euros each to entry the museum. It contains statues, mosaics and paints on the rocks. 


















It is impressive the quantity of artifacts displayed. The exhibition embraces from the Bronze age (15th century BC) till the Roman conquest.

I am astonished by the beauty, the richness of the history of this site.

What really hits me are the Messapian ditch tombs of the 4th and 3rd  century BC. 

In most cases, these tombs are grouped together in a wider ditch, which probably contained members of the same family.


 















It is almost 3.30 pm, and we have to leave. 

The Lucia’s mum is waiting for us. 

We leave Gnatia phisically exhausted. 

However, I have the feeling that my spirit has evolved a little bit. 

If you wish to see more pictures, please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment