Saturday 28 March 2015

The Maria's colours

A couple of days ago, I have received an e-mail about a paintings exhibition in Maglie (Lecce), which will start today at 5.30 pm.










The artist is Maria Jose Garcia.

She comes from Guadalajara, close to Madrid.

Maria works in Brindisi within the United Nations Logistic Base.



So, I e-mail Maria asking her if she would be interested in being interviewed for In Apulia.

She accepts without hesitation.

Therefore, we arrange to meet up near the canteen within the UN base.

Once there, we introduce each other.






I am struck by her eyes: bright as the colours of her paintings.








I explain her the mission of my blog.

However, I wish to find out more about her passion for painting. 

“I have been living in Amsterdam for 14 years” she says.

“I had great time there. Nevertheless, I have never got used to the darkness of that latitude”.

“I adore to paint the nature” Maria says. “Usually, I take a picture of the subject, then, I paint it”.


















Talking about the History of Art, Maria likes very much the Post-Impressionism movement

The below painting is an example.




Additionally, Maria loves Sorolla, Van Gogh and Gauguin.

Maria lives in Lecce.

“When I ride my bicycle” Maria adds “it hurts me to see plastic and rubbish around the countryside. 

It is a shame to ruin such a fantastic landscape. In The Netherlands there was more respect for the environment”.




Concerning the disease which is affecting the olive trees in Salento, caused by Xylella, Maria wishes that a remedy will be soon found in order to tackle the spreading of it.






It is almost time to come back to work.

We leave the canteen with the strong feeling that we have had a nice chat.

So, feel free to come to Maglie and have a chat with Maria Jose Garcia.

The exhibition will be held in the "F. Capece" gallery in Maglie, from the 28th of March till the 6th of April. 

Opening hours: 5.30 - 9 pm


1 comment: