Thursday 4 September 2014

Ascoli Satriano, the griffins and the Getty Museum

I have always been told that Ascoli Satriano hosts an awesome archaeological exhibition, particularly important to find out more about the Daunian civilization.








So, as I am taking Lucia to the rail station in Foggia, this time I can not refrain from visiting Ascoli, located in Subappennino DaunoAscoli Satriano is around 15 miles from Foggia.

I am a slow driver, so it takes me almost 45 to cover that distance. A snail is faster than me. However, I am proud of my slowness. 





Jokes apart, driving easily allows me to have a look at the landscape.













Ascoli Satriano is located on a top of three hills.












I park the car and ask a lady where the Museum is. It is just 50 metres further. The luck of living in a small town, everything is so handy.

The Museum is free, and of course I am glad of that.

Unfortunately, the watchperson, an old man, tell me that I am not allowed to take any pictures. Reluctantly, I obey to his request. 

Therefore, the pictures displayed in this post have been retrieved from the internet.

Once in, I quickly look for the precious items of which I have always been told. At the first floor, I enter a dark room and…

Well, I can not describe you the marvel that l felt.


I keep my mouth open for few seconds when I see the polychrome marble of 4th century BC. 

It is a trapezophoros with the two griffins tearing a deer to pieces.

The incredible thing is that the polychrome griffins are made of a marble mined in Turkey.

This and other precious items such as a Podanipter, have been found in a grave where a royal Daunian was buried.
















However, what is even more thrilling is the story behind these precious objects.

This and other stories of looted art in Italy have been narrated by the journalist Fabio Isman. He wrote a book I predatori dell’arte perduta (2009, Skira editions).

Grave robbers dug them out around Ascoli Satriano between 1976 and 1977. 




Then, they sold them to Giacomo Medici, a well known art dealer. He store the pieces in Genève.

Through Robin Symes, the items were sold to MauriceTempelsman, a Belgian-American diamond dealer.





Finally, he sold them to the Getty Museum of Malibu (USA) who paid for the couple of griffins (trapezophoros) 5.5 million dollars. This happened in 1985.

Meantime, due to certain reasons, the truth about the items comes out.

The Italian Ministero dei beni e delle attività culturali begun to deal with American authorities in order to get back the precious objects.

Finally, the items have been returned to Italy on the 1st August of 2007. In 2010, The Italian Minister approved the return of these amazing items to Ascoli Satriano.

Nowadays, Ascoli Satriano is knowing a rebirth thanks to the Griffins and the local archaeological sites.

















After having visited the museum, I walk towards the inner town.

There is an imposing building, strategically built as a Norman atop, which subsequently became the abode of the feudatories of Ascoli. In the 17th and 18th centuries, at the behest of the Marulli dukes, it was turned into noble aristocrat residence.


















The main dish here is lampascioni, a bitter bulb, with potatoes with extra virgin olive oil, salt, black pepper. Let it cook in the oven for 1 hour. 

Buon appetito and....mind the griffins


Post Scriptum
If you wish to view more pics, please click here







4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for updating this very interesting story, which I read e.g. here in 2006:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/arts/01gett.html?_r=0

    Until today I did not know where in Italy the table support artwork with the "two griffins attacking a deer", formerly housed in the Getty Villa & Museum, is now at home in Italy.
    Next visit in Italy should lead us to Puglia, Foggia, Ascoli satriano Museum.
    I heard from an Italian friend that from now on in all public museums in Italy it is allowed to take photos (finally !).
    Kind regards
    petrus.agricola
    present on flickr with more than 14,500 photos from artworks -
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/28433765@N07/15099286519/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      Thank you for your comment

      A visit to the Ascoli Satriano Museum is definetely worth it: the griffins mantains a unbelievable fashion.

      However, I would recommend you to visit other Apulian towns, rich of art and culture.

      I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed.

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Caro Antonio,
      seven years ago, in 2007, I visited Puglia and estimated above all those beautiful Romanesque cathedrals, be it the fantastic situated and adorned cathedral of Trani or the naive pebble-stone mosaic of Fra Pantaleone in Otranto or many other attractions. And in Lecce is born one of my favorite Tenors, Tito Schipa ! I appreciate very much Puglia, however in 2007 the "trapezophoros con due grifoni" was not yet present in Puglia.
      Cordialemente
      Peter

      Delete
    3. Ciao Petrus,

      You seem to know Puglia better than me :-)

      Congratulations. Ascoli Satriano hosts the griffins and many other attractions. There are two archaelogical parks there.

      Should you wish to come back to Puglia, please do not refrain from e-mailing me.

      All the best

      Delete