Monday 2 January 2017

You don't know Bovino

Paraphrazing the Vittorio Bodini's poem tu non conosci il Sud, I ignored the beauty of Bovino.

I mean, I knew it was a great please to visit, but I've never had chance to.








So, a couple of days ago I went there with the purpose of walking around and see the statue menhir at the local musuem.

Its untouched historical city center has astonished me.

Bovino is located in Monti Dauni, a breath-taking area of North Apulia.

Monti Dauni encompasses the highest number of cities (6 on 10) awarded by Touring club Italiano with orange flag, synonymous of beauty and historical value.

I have booked a room at a nice B&B called La Posta

We ring the B&B bell. A lady opens the door, and welcomes us with a smile in her face. People here is humble also because Bovino is off the beaten track.

We feel tired, nevertheless we leave our bags in the room and get out to have a look around.




It's freezing, so we walk fast. 

We come across the Museo civico of Bovino, where I've got to learn about the amazing statues menhir.



Found between Bovino and Castelluccio dei Sauri, they date back the 3rd millennium BC.


The most beautiful examples are the female ones (pictured).

According to artepreistorica.it, in Apulia have been found the largest numbers of statue menhir retrieved in Italy.

  
The museum is small but it exhibits some unique items such as this sphinx (Roman age)




When I arrive at the museum, I find it shut down. So, I ring the mobile no. reported outside the museum.

A lady answers that she'll come over and open it up in half an hour.

"That's great!" I think to myself. 

But it's cold outside, it's freezing.

Standing by the main square, with the duomo on our left, we are looking in a centro culturale. A gentleman opens the door from the inside and say "Come in. It's cold outside"



That's fantastic. 

We have chance to get warm while talking with them.





We leave not before having given them our best wishes.




The castle Guevara is really cool.








Since few years, so many media companies have chosen Bovino as set where shooting their movies (Noi credevamo, Marina etc) 


Finally, I can say that I know Bovino.




No comments:

Post a Comment