Friday 5 September 2014

Medieval armours, an Apulian job

The 28th of August, I attended a Medieval festival held in Manfredonia, north of Apulia.


















I was there, taking pictures of a Saracen encampment within the Medieval castle of Manfredonia. 

By the way, the Saracens were tough fighters, faithful to Frederick II the Swabian. 

According to Vito Salierno author of I Musulmani in Puglia e in Basilicata (Ed. Laicata, 2000), Friederick II had relocated around 40.000 Saracens from Sicily to Lucera, north of Apulia.

Indeed, this Apulian town will turned its name to Luceria Saracinorum



Let's come back to the Medieval festival

I was captured by the archers who brilliantly showed their skills.





Meantime, I am told that outside the castle, it is going to be held a Medieval fight.

Therefore, I quickly move away, heading to the combat zone.

I really like to see fighters protected by armour battling each other.

















In this circumstance, I have the opportunity to know Matteo Riccardi.

During the Medieval fight, Matteo covers the role of referee. I catch his eye as I sneakily try to gain the best position for taking pictures.

He tells me: “mind to not get hurt”, Then, he adds: “why don’t you come to visit me?”.

Matteo Riccardi is an artisan, who produces Medieval armours.
















He inherits this passion from his father Michele, who started creating small armours for puppets of the Sicilian theater.

At the beginning, Matteo made armours for hobby, as his job was bricklayer.

However, he quit  his job in 1988. Since then, he dedicated all his energies to make armours. So, his hobby turned in a job.

The artisans represents the spine of the Italian manufacturing system.








“In the Middle age, the best armour makers were Italians, particularly the Missaglia’s family from Milan” Matteo says.










The Missaglia’s family exported their armours all around Europe. They competed against German armour makers located in Augusta and Nuremberg.

Matteo states that the armours were at that time a status symbol. 

Just noble and aristocrats could afford to buy it.



“Once a gay man asked me to make a chastity belt for man” he confides to me.

“So, I made it for him. 

However, I thanked him several times, because I sold almost 100 chastity belt like that”.



Matteo is currently setting up a show room, which is supposed to be ready in a couple of months.

He can not keep talking with me as he needs to complete an armour for a hourse. So, he apologizes and I apologize too.

So, before leaving, I offer him my support as English speaker for business purposes.

Ciao Matteo, see you soon 


Post Scriptum
If you wish to view more pics, please click here


No comments:

Post a Comment